MD-500 Modulation, an incredible modulation pedal from BOSS, utilising advanced technology to produce nearly every type of modulation effect you could think of.
BOSS MD-500; Ultra-Versatile Modulation Pedal
Expanding on their legendary range of apocalypse-proof pedals, BOSS have produced the MD-500 Modulation pedal, packed with 28 different mod effect algorithms and a huge range of programmable parameters for the ultimate in versatility and customisation of your sound.
28 Mod Effect Types
With 12 modes and 28 different mod effect algorithms, all of which have been newly developed specifically for the BOSS MD-500 Modulation, you are never short if inspiring and creative tone potential.
All of the classic favourites are here including chorus, vibrato, flanger, phaser, tremolo, classic vibe and ring modulation along with other awesome effects such as auto wah, touch wah and BOSS originals like Overtone and Slicer.
If you’re a fan of the original Slicer, you’ll enjoy the fact that the MD-500 incorporates what you love about the SL-20 but with the added feature of being able to program custom patterns.
The MD-500 also features an incredibly accurate recreation of Roland’s Dimension D that was extremely popular in the 1980s, allowing you to add amazing width and depth with one of the most revere studio rack effects in music history.
Professional Level Studio Quality Sound
Featuring 32-bit/96 kHz AD/DA, the BOSS MD-500 exceeds industry standards for pedal-based effects.
All internal processing is 32-bit floating point, running at a 96 kHz sampling rate, giving you pristine sonic quality that soars above and beyond even the highest-level digital processors that are used in top professional studios.
What’s more; with selectable true-bypass or buffered-bypass operation, you can choose the best setting for your personal pedalboard setup.
Incredible Modulation Tones
BOSS have taken classic effects such as chorus, flanger, phaser and more then refreshed them with new advanced Prime algorithms.
By using ultra-fast, high-powered DSP and other cutting-edge technology, the engineers at BOSS have rejuvenated these modulation standards, enhancing their expression, extending the range and giving them maximum transparency.
Numerous adjustable parameters per type give you a huge range of sound-shaping potential for the maximum in creativity and customised sounds.
USB connectivity allows you to access the free MD-500 Editor/Librarian on your computer for remote editing, patch backup and more.
Some of the effects even have new parameters that have never been seen before in BOSS effects, such as the “Bell” and “Sweetness” settings you’ll find in the Prime Chorus algorithm for example.
MD-500 Modes and Algorithms
- Chorus—Four types: Prime, CE-1 Chorus, CE-1 Vibrato, and TRI-CHO.
- Flanger—Two types: Prime G (for guitar) and Prime B (for bass).
- Phaser— Three types: Prime G (for guitar), Prime B (for bass), and Script.
- Classic Vibe—Two types: Chorus (mixed output) and Vibrato (effect-only output).
- Vibrato—Two types: Prime and Scanner (tonewheel organ-style vibrato).
- Tremolo—Four types: Prime T and Prime P, plus Twin and Deluxe amp-style tremolo.
- Dimension—Models the legendary Roland SDD-320 Dimension D rack unit; includes the original four sound modes and an all-new fifth mode, plus a user setting for saving any combination of modes.
- Ring Mod—Classic ring modulation effects, plus Intelligent mode for enhanced clarity when playing scales.
- Rotary—Vintage rotating speaker effect with slow and fast speeds.
- Filter—Auto wah and touch wah (with independent types optimized for guitar and bass), plus pattern filter type.
- Slicer—Original BOSS effect derived from the popular SL-20 Slicer, with programmable options not available in the SL-20 pedal.
- Overtone—Original BOSS effect based on the MO-2 Multi Overtone pedal; uses MDP tech to alter the input signal’s pitch and harmonic characteristics, allowing you to create unique new sound textures.
Advanced Interface with Intuitive Operation
A large LCD screen on the front of the MD-500 clearly shows the patch name and all other vital information so all the information you need is available at a glance; great for live performance situations. The large screen also makes it easier to view and adjust the extensive editing parameters and control features.
Grab-and-go panel knobs give you precise, tactile access to essential adjustments such as depth and effect level and two parameter controls that change dynamically with the selected effect type.
Freely assignable switches and extensive real-time control support mean the MD-500 is able to offer unmatched expression and incredible performance flexibility.
At default settings, the A, B and TAP/CTL switches act as controls for the patch/bank selection and bypass, plus tap tempo or real-time adjustment of one or more parameters.
You can, however, customise the switches to access three different mod patches, A/B Simul mode and other functions.
Using the rear-panel CTL 1, 2/EXP jack you can connect up to two footswitches for more control options, or an expression pedal to adjust wah, effect rate and other parameters. A MIDI I/O is also included, further increasing your creative potential.
A Monster of a Modulation Effects Unit
Using advanced technology and delivering beyond industry standard audio quality, combining new sounds with re-energised classics all controllable from an advanced, intuitive interface the BOSS MD-500 gives you a whole new world of modulation at your control.
BOSS MD-500 Modulation Key Features:
- Studio-level sound with first-in-class 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate
- 12 modes and 28 modulation types, all with deep editing parameters
- Classic mod effects and BOSS originals, newly enhanced with cutting-edge technology
- A/B Simul mode for using two patches at once, with your choice of series/parallel connection and mixed or split A/B output
- Insert Loop function allows you to use mod effects before, after, or around drive pedals
- Graphic LCD and intensive real-time control options
- 297 onboard patch memories and hands-on controls
- Selectable buffered-bypass or true-bypass operation
- MIDI I/O for interfacing with MIDI control devices
- USB-MIDI for connecting to the MD-500 Editor/Librarian or a DAW (to be available in early July 2017)
- Runs on four AA-size batteries or PSA-series AC adapter
BOSS MD-500 Modulation Effect Modes:
- CLASSIC VIBE
- RING MOD
BOSS MD-500 Modulation Specs:
- Sampling Frequency: 96 kHz
- AD/DA Conversion: 32 bits
- Processing: 32-bit Floating Point
- Modes: 12
- Memory: 198 (99 banks x 2 [A][B]), 297 (99 banks x 3 [A][B][C])
- Nominal Input Level: INPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu
- Maximum Input Level: INPUT A/MONO, B: +8 dBu
- Input Impedance: INPUT A/MONO, B: 1 M ohm
- Nominal Output Level: OUTPUT A/MONO, B: -10 dBu
- Maximum Output Level: OUTPUT A/MONO, B +8 dBu
- Output Impedance: OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 2 k ohms
- Recommended Load Impedance: OUTPUT A/MONO, B: 20 k ohms or greater
- Bypass: Buffered Bypass or True Bypass (With Relays)
- Display: Graphic LCD (128 x 64 Dots, Backlit LCD)
- Power Supply: Alkaline Battery (AA, LR6) x 4, AC Adaptor (Sold Seperately)
- Current Draw: 225 Ma
- Expected Battery Life Under Continuous Use: Alkaline: Approximately 4.5 Hours
BOSS MD-500 Modulation Controls:
- A Switch
- B Switch
- TAP/CTL Switch
- DOWN Button
- UP Button
- EXIT Button
- EDIT Button
- MODE Knob
- RATE/VALUE Knob
- DEPTH Knob
- E.LEVEL Knob
- PARAM 1 Knob
- PARAM 2 Knob
BOSS MD-500 Modulation Connectors:
- INPUT (A/MONO, B) Jack 1/4-Inch Phone Type
- OUTPUT (A/MONO, B) Jack 1/4-Inch Phone Type
- CTL 1, 2/EXP Jack: 1/4-Inch TSR Phone Type
- USB Computer Port: USB Type B
- MIDI (IN, OUT) Connectors
- DC IN Jack
- BOSS MD-500 Modulation Size and Weight:
- Width: 170mm, 6-3/4 Inches
- Depth: 138mm, 5-7/16 Inches
- Height: 62mm, 2-1/2 Inches
- Weight (Including Battery): 1.0kg, 2lbs 4oz
We constantly monitor our competitors' prices to ensure that we're the best. However if you do find it cheaper, you can request an instant price match during opening hours by completing the form below.
*Please note that Terms & Conditions apply to Price Match - Must be a UK-based seller with the item In Stock, and is not available in conjunction with Finance or other Offers*