Sandberg California II TM 4-S Natural Fretless Bass Guitar
OUT OF STOCK
Available to order
Ever since the company's conception in 1986, Sandberg has been a by-word for quality and class. Now, more than thirty years later, that continues to be the case with them going from strength to strength in the construction of high-quality, hand-crafted, customisable guitars and bass guitars. Whether it's their most affordable model, or a 100% custom build, you just know that the instrument will be worth every penny you pay for it and more.
The same, but different...
The offset waisted body of the California TM4 is instantly recognisable to bass players the world over, being an homage to arguably the most popular bass guitar in modern history: the Jazz Bass. However, whilst being shaped the same as its famous counterpart, the California TM4 differs in many respects.
For a start there's the pickups, where we have here a Single Coil & Humbucker combination, instead of the standard two single coils. Both pickups also noticeably have much wider poles than a standard pickup, meaning that all of the string movements are captured and no vibrations or frequencies are lost.
Did I mention that the humbucker was also on a split coil circuit, meaning it can be utilised as a second single coil pickup at the flick of a switch?
You also have the specially designed Sandberg hardware to contend with, an incredible 2-band preamp system, am alder body with a high gloss natural finish... I could go on forever, but first let's have a look at those pickups.
Here's a little more information on those tasty Delano pickups for you:
- The T series neck single coil is a classic reconstruction of the vintage Jazz Bass pickups from the 1960's and 1970's, and grants you a nice blend of woody low-mid growls and warm articulate midrange as well as that trademark funky "twang" that the pickups became famous for.
- Then there's the awesome M series bridge humbucker. This humbucker is based heavily around the popular Stingray style humbucker pickup shape, with a very wide string sensing area to pick up as much tonal colour as possible. This gives you fat and grinding tone when in humbucker mode, but at the flick of a switch can be converted into a bright and clear sounding single-coil instead. With a warm bass and low-mid response, and extra voice on the mids and bright percussive top end, this pickup is as versatile as you could want or need it to be.
Sandberg 2-band Preamp
The preamp circuitry on the California TM4 is simply perfect for the modern bassplayer. What initially looks like a standard setup has a clever little surprise in store, in the shape of a push/pull Volume control knob that allows you to set the preamp to Active or Passive.
Next to the Volume control you have the Balance control, which acts as a nice pickup selector "Blend" option, where you can determine the level of each pickup in the mix (centre position has both pickups running at 100%, or turn the control in the direction of the pickup you want to be at the forefront to make it so). The Treble control allows you to either boost the Treble or cut the tone, which works even in passive mode! And finally there's the Bass control, which works in the same way as the Treble control (without the passive cut) but for your low-end frequencies. Exciting stuff!
No Frets? No Sweat!
Whilst fretted instruments tend to be more popular, the absence of frets on this bass adds something else to its already impressive arsenal. The distinctive sound of a fretless bass is more akin to a double bass than a standard electric, with an almost muted sound as your finger is pressing the string directly to fretboard, but allows for much more expressive approaches with sliding, vibrato, and even playing microtones.
Made to be Played
Sandberg bass guitars are renowned the world over for being high-quality and extremely versatile, and the California TM4 is just one of many prime examples that this reputation is well deserved. With the ergonomic and solidly constructed chassis, this guitar is most certainly one that you could grace a stage with. The curvature of this relatively lightweight body rests comfortably against you as you play, making even the longest of shows and studio sessions pass by that bit quicker. Add that to the perfect sounding tonal spectrum supplied by the solid wood body and awesome electronics system, and you will fast be running out of reasons NOT to buy it.
To discuss our range of home delivery options on this, or any of our Sandberg products, contact our sales team directly.
- Neck: 6 x Bolted / Canadian Hardrock Maple
- Fretboard: Ebony
- Number of Frets: Fretless
- Scale: 34"
- Body: Alder
- Finish: High Gloss, 3 Tone Sunburst
- Hardware: Sandberg
- Pickups: 1 x Delano T-Style Single Coil, 1 x Delano M-Style Humbucker (Coil Split option)
- Preamp: Sandberg 2-Band EQ, Active/Passive, Passive Tone Control
|Shipping Weight (kg)||9.000000|
|Series||California T Series|
|Neck Wood||Canadian Hardrock Maple Neck|
|Pickup Config||1 x humbucker 1 x single coil|
|Number Of Strings||4 string|
|Body Material||swamp ash|
|Body Size||full size|
|Right / Left-Handed||right handed|
|Guitar Style||jazz style|
We know you want to get your gear as quickly and as safely as possible, Next Working Day Delivery to UK Mainland Addresses, on all IN STOCK items, if ordered before 3pm. This will include a text or email on the day of delivery giving you an exact hour window of when your gear will be with you.
- Orders under £99: £4.99 Delivery Charge
- Orders over £99: Free Next Day DPD Delivery (When Ordered before 3pm)
- Weekend Delivery (Saturday-Sunday): £9.99 (When Ordered before 3pm Friday)
- Heavy Items (over 40kg): £39.99 Pallet Service
Rather not wait in for the delivery? Don’t worry, we’ve got you…In Stock items can be ordered and paid for in-advance Online via our Click & Collect service. As long as if it's in stock at your chosen branch, you can collect the item within 2 hours*.
If you have bought something In-Store or Online and want to return it as unwanted, you have 30 days from when you receive the goods to contact our PMT experts either by phone or email to return your item.
We can offer you a refund if you return your item within 30 Days from purchase date and with 100% perfect packaging.
Please Note - We cannot accept unwanted returns on microphones, any in-ear earphones or monitors, and any other items that touch your mouth, nose or inner ear if you have removed the hygienic packaging.