The Martin DSS-17, seen here in a sleek Black Smoke, is a dreadnought acoustic guitar with a slope-shoulder design.
Great Looking Slope Shoulder Dreadnought
With excellent craftsmanship, great design features and awesome aesthetics, the Martin DSS-17 Black Smoke sounds and plays as good as it looks.
Martin DSS-17 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Black Smoke Key Features:
- Slope-Shoulder Dreadnought Body
- Sitka Spruce Top
- Mahogany Back and Sides
- Scalloped Sitka Spruce X-Style Bracing
- Modified Low Oval Neck with High Performance Taper
- Rosewood Fretboard
- Plek Fret Dressing
- Bone Nut and Saddle
- Golden Age Relic Nickel Tuning Machines
- Includes Soft Shell Case
Crafting The DSS-17
As a dreadnought style acoustic guitar, the Martin DSS-17 gives you the depth and volume you need for huge performance.
Add in the slope-shoulder design and you get added playing comfort and an elegant new aesthetic.
The top of the Martin DSS-17 is made from Sitka Spruce. This wood is incredibly popular with guitar builders due to its strength and elasticity.
With this Sitka Spruce top, the dsss-17 is able to deliver rich tones with a wide dynamic range so it’s suitable for all styles of playing.
Mahogany is used for the back and sides, adding to the rich, warm tone while enhancing the high end.
Highly Playable Neck
Attached to the body is a modified low oval neck that boasts a high-performance taper.
This allows for easy chording at the lower frets with a gradually widening that facilitates dynamic lead performance as you make your way up the neck.
Atop the neck is a traditional Rosewood fretboard that has been treated to a Plek Pro fret dressing.
The Plek Pro machine scans each individual fret before machining each one with incredible precision.
The end result is a fretboard that plays like no other. Your hands and ears will definitely tell the difference.
High Quality Hardware
Bone has been used for the Martin DSS-17 Black Smoke’s nut, giving you natural sounding, bright tone.
Down on the body, you’ll find a Rosewood bridge holding a compensated bone saddle which provides precise intonation and great transfer of string vibration to the Sitka Spruce top.
Up on the headstock, there are six Golden Age Relic nickel tuning machines offering incredibly precise and secure tuning of your strings.
Style and Substance
While playability and tone are the most important qualities of any acoustic guitar, that doesn’t mean the Martin DSS-17 Black Smoke can’t look good.
The body itself is striking, with its elegant slope shoulder design along with its Black Smoke finish that is starkly contrasted by an ivoroid pickguard.
On the Rosewood fretboard, you’ll find a visual treat in the form of Mother of Pearl 1955 style 18 inlays.
Sweetening the deal, the DSS-17 comes with a soft shell case – a great way to transport your new guitar.
Buy the Martin DSS-17 dreadnought acoustic from Professional Music Technology and add this fantastic looking guitar to your collection.
Martin DSS-17 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar Black Smoke Specs:
- Series: 17 Series
- Model: DSS-17 Black Smoke
- Construction: Simple Dovetail Neck Joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret Slope Shoulder
- Top Material: Sitka Spruce
- Top Detail: None
- Rosette: Multi-Stripe
- Bracing Pattern: X Brace
- Brace Shape: Scalloped
- Brace Material: Sitka Spruce
- Brace Size: 5/16”
- Back Material: Mahogany
- Back Detail: None
- Back Purfling/Strip: None
- Side Material: Mahogany
- Side Detail: None
- Endpiece: None
- Endpiece Inlay: None
- Binding: Antique White
- Top Inlay Material: Black Stripe
- Side Inlay Material: Black Stripe
- Back Inlay Material: None
- Neck Material: Select Hardwood
- Neck Shape: Modified Low Oval
- Neck Taper: High Performance Taper
- Plek: Yes
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock Shape: Solid with Square Taper
- Headplate Material: Ebony
- Headplate Logo Style: Script Authentic 1933 Overlay
- Headplate Binding Material: None
- Heelcap: None
- Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
- Scale Length: 25.4”
- Neck Joins Body At: 14th Fret
- Number of Frets Total: 20
- Fingerboard Width at Nut: 1 3/4''
- Fingerboard Width at 12th Fret: 2 1/8”
- Fingerboard Inlay Material: Mother of Pearl
- Fingerboard Inlay Style: 1955 Style 18
- Fingerboard Binding Material: None
- Side Dots: Yellow
- Back and Sides Finish: Satin
- Back and Sides Colour: Black
- Top Finish: Satin
- Top Colour: Black
- Neck Finish: Satin
- Neck Colour: Black
- Bridge Material: Rosewood
- Bridge Style: Modern Straightline – Drop In Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2 5/32"
- Saddle: Compensated Bone
- Saddle Radius: 16”
- Tuning Machines: Golden Age Relic Nickel
- Strings: Authentic Acoustic Medium (SMA550T)
- Knob: Cream Plastic
- Bridge Pin Material: Black Plastic
- Bridge Pin Dots: None
- Pickguard: Ivoroid
- Pickguard Inlay: None
- Case: Soft Shell
- Label: None
- Electronics: None
|Case Included||gig bag|
|Neck Wood||select hardwood|
|Number Of Strings||6 string|
|Right / Left-Handed||right handed|
|Body Size||full size|
We constantly monitor our competitors' prices to ensure that we're the best. However if you do find it cheaper, you can request an instant price match during opening hours by completing the form below.
*Please note that Terms & Conditions apply to Price Match - Must be a UK-based seller with the item In Stock, and is not available in conjunction with Finance or other Offers*