If Spruce and Mahogany tonewood combinations are your thing, and you're looking for a premium-grade acoustic guitar that sounds vintage, but looks and plays like a modern instrument, then you're in luck. New for 2019, the Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe VTS Top ticks all of those boxes and more - it even comes with a hardshell case to keep it safe when not in use.
Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe VTS Top Highlights
- Newly designed Dreadnought style guitar with ultra-modern features
- New for 2019
- Brand new, ultra-low profile, asymmetrical neck design
- Solid Sitka Spruce top with Vintage Tone System technology
- Genuine Mahogany back and sides
- Liquidmetal red dot bridge pins result in increased volume at no extra weight
- Lightweight, two-way Titanium truss rod for increased stability and easier neck adjustment
- Hardshell case included
- Finance Options Available
Vintage Sounding Dreadnought with Modern Playability
Martin's brand new Modern Deluxe series has been specially designed to bring together custom new features with that vintage Martin sensibility, to deliver a truly unique playing experience. Crafting using cutting edge production techniques, these guitars are a wonder to behold.
From the bridge pins to the tuning pegs, the bracing system to the tonewoods used, every part of the Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe is designed and put together to bring you the very best in modern acoustics.
Exceptional Tonewood Choices
Made popular by Martin during towards the middle of the 20th Century, the pairing of Spruce and Mahogany is still often used to this day.
Although originally viewed as a cheaper alternative to rosewood, it's worth noting that Mahogany has plenty to offer the guitar market in its own right.
Renowned for providing a punchy and balanced tone, with a rich midrange character, Mahogany pairs well with the brighter, broad-spectrum Sitka Spruce wood top.
Together these two produce a nice, punchy and articulate tone, that's suitable for a range of folk and blues music, but versatile enough to work with any playstyle.
In addition to sounding fantastic, the Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe also has a range of modern upgrades that will catch your eye.
These upgrades include a set of gold open-gear tuners, a 30s style script headstock logo inlaid with pearl, and a set of stylish gold frets. As well as aesthetic beauty though, the guitar also sports some highly functional upgrades in the shape of a lightweight 2-way titanium truss rod, a set of Liquidmetal bridge pins, and a new asymmetrical neck profile.
Despite the modern upgrades, a Martin wouldn't be a Martin without a full compliment of vintage-style appointments, that help produce that famed vintage Martin sound. These appointments include a Sitka Spruce VTS top, VTS Adirondack spruce braces, a dovetail neck joint, and natural protein glues.
If it's that vintage Martin tone you want, combined with modern playability, then make your next purchase a Modern Deluxe series guitar.
Vintage Tone System (VTS)
Developed using unique torrefaction processes to prematurely age their tonewoods, the Martin VTS is a large part of where that vintage sound comes from. This process helps the woods treated to achieve a similar cellular structure to that of a naturally aged wood, meaning that vintage acoustic tone is more accessible than ever.
Available to Order Now
Contact your local store or our Online Sales team directly if you'd like to know more about the availability of the Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe. Don't forget to keep your eyes peeled for it landing at a store near you soon, so you can arrange for a play-test before committing to buy!
Martin D-18 Modern Deluxe VTS Top Specs
- Model: D-18 Modern Deluxe
- Construction: Dovetail Neck joint
- Body Size: D-14 Fret
- Top Material: Sitka Spruce with VTS
- Rosette: Old Style 18 Multi-Stripe
- Bracing Pattern: Forward Shifted X Brace
- Brace Shape: Scaloped
- Brace Material: Adirondack Spruce with VTS
- Brace Size: 5/16"
- Back Material: Genuine Mahogany
- Back/Purfling Strip: Style 18
- Side Material: Genuine Mahogany
- Endpiece: East Indian Rosewood
- Binding: East Indian Rosewood
- Top Inlay Material: Multi-Stripe
- Neck Material: Genuine Mahogany
- Neck Shape: Vintage Deluxe
- Neck Taper: High Performance Taper
- Plek: Yes
- Nut Material: Bone
- Headstock Shape: Solid with Square Taper
- Headplate Material: East Indian Rosewood
- Headplate Logo Style: Sylized Script Inlay
- Heelcap: East Indian Rosewood
- Fingerboard Material: Ebony
- Scale Length: 25.4"
- Neck Joins Body At: 14th Fret
- Number of Frets: 20
- Nut Width: 1.75"
- Width at 12th Fret: 2.25"
- Fingerboard Inlay Material: Abalone
- Fingerboard Inlay Style: Old Style 18
- Side Dots: Abalone
- Back and Side Finish: Dark Mahogany
- Top Finish: Gloss
- Neck Finish: Satin
- Neck Colour: Dark Mahogany
- Bridge Material: Ebony
- Bridge Style: Modern Belly - Drop in Saddle
- Bridge String Spacing: 2-5/32"
- Saddle: Compensated Bone
- Saddle Radius: 16"
- Tuning Machines: Gold Open Gear
- Knob: Butterbean
- Bridge Pin Material: Liquidmetal
- Bridge Pin Dots: Red Acrylic
- Pickguard: Faux Tortoise
- Case Included: Ply Hardshell
- Left Handed Model Available: Yes (Contact our Sales Team directly for more details)
|Case Included||hard case|
|Neck Wood||genuine mahogany neck|
|Number Of Strings||6 string|
|Right / Left-Handed||right handed|
|Body Size||full size|
We constantly monitor our competitors' prices to ensure that we're the best. However if you do find it cheaper, you can request an instant price match during opening hours by completing the form below.
*Please note that Terms & Conditions apply to Price Match - Must be a UK-based seller with the item In Stock, and is not available in conjunction with Finance or other Offers*