With the sheer amount of multi effects units and guitar effects processors out there, it can be hard trying to figure out which one is right for you. Here's 3 reasons why the BOSS GT-1000 is so special.
Sometimes there’s just too much to choose from when it comes to multi effects units. Choosing one out of the pack can be a little daunting. When you’re thinking about what effects you might need, how many effects you might want and what type of functionality you get, the fun can start to drain out of the experience.
Fortunately, we’ve done the hard part for you and looked into what sets the BOSS GT-1000 apart. We dive into the most commonly asked questions and really see what makes this stand out from the competition in the hope you get a better understanding of the unique benefits within this new flagship model.
1. The Effects within the BOSS GT-1000 are phenomenal
The Boss GT-1000 is packed with 116 effects to be exact. So, if you’re a bit like me and you want EVERY Boss effect ever, this is a great option. You have instant access to the BOSS back catalogue of effects pedals including BOSS MDP effects and algorithms directly ported from the DD-500, MD-500, and RV-500 pedals, so you’re getting their flagship delay, reverb and modulation multi effects units rolled into one. You’re also getting the classic distortion pedals, octaves – everything!
All these effects utilise the MDP digital technology which really expands the expressiveness of effects. This means your effects respond better to the likes of pick attack, dynamics, volume but on an individual string level, allowing your guitar signal to come through while applying optimum levels of effects. This is a big deal for people who use reverb and delay effects a lot!
Have a listen to a selection of the sounds within the new BOSS GT-1000 guitar and effects processor below:
2. The Amp Models are insane
Well, this is where it gets really interesting. The BOSS GT-1000 differs from the other amp modellers and multi effects guitar processors out there due to the inclusion of the ingenious AIRD (Augmented Impulse Response Dynamics) technology. This is BOSS’s acclaimed Tube Logic concept in a digital guitar processor which applies to their huge amount of amp models within the GT-1000.
The amplifiers in the GT-1000 are a mix of re-created classics that we all know and love including British and American made amps, alongside original Boss creations and amps using Boss’ incredible Multi-Dimensional Processing – it’s a whole studio’s worth of amplifiers at your feet.
When scrolling through the effects chain of your GT-1000 you’ll notice the amp blocks labelled at AIRD Amplifiers. These are your amplifiers that you can move anywhere in the chain, and you can run two at once in a variety of different ways. This means you can run two amps together, run one before a certain effect and another after and so on. It's total control over how your effects sit within the chain.
There’s no cabs though, but there’s a reason for that!
The team at BOSS have taken great care in creating the amp sounds within the GT-1000 and each amp model is re-created with its ideal speaker combination. Selecting a Classic British stack will give you the sound through its optimal and best sounding speaker, the same goes for all amp models.
Rather than try and recreate the ideal set-ups, with endless tweaking and EQ – all amp models have been paired and created with the ideal speaker set-up already inside.
This means you always get the best possible player experience when using the GT-1000 Amp Models and you're not stuck trying to figure out which cab is the right one!
3. AIRD technology...But wait! What’s so special about AIRD?
By now you’re probably thinking to yourself, what does AIRD actually do? Well, the AIRD delivers natural feel and optimized integration with all types of external devices (FRFR, PA, LINE OUT and into the Front end of an amp) WITHOUT the need to disable any amp modelling.
To fully understand how important AIRD technology is, it’s definitely worth looking at our guide, ‘Why Do We Love Tube Amps & How Does A Valve Amp Work?’
Essentially, there’s a conversation between the tubes, pre-amp, power amp and your guitar, and each element is responsible for certain dynamics that only valve amps can really get right. Where some multi effects units tend to ‘muddy’ the water by emulating a snapshot of the sound of a valve amp and placing this over your sound, the AIRD technology makes sure that it’s part of the conversation and responding WITH your amp and playing dynamics rather than dictating or taking over a sound.
You don’t invest in an AC30 to use with a multi effects that will destroy the dynamics and response, do you? The BOSS GT-1000 preserves the tone of your own amp and interacts with your amplifier rather than completely overriding any existing flair or flavour you want from your existing valve amp.
This is what really makes the GT-1000 different to other multi effects units.
With others, you have to turn your amp emulations off if you want your effects to respond correctly to YOUR amp, but with the GT-1000 you don’t.
In fact, you can even tell the GT-1000 what amp you’re plugged into using the AIRD OUTPUT Options via output select, and it will alter its output to match what you are plugged into.
This makes the BOSS GT-1000 the best multi-effects pedal for tube amps, hands down!
Watch our review from NAMM 2018 below:
Here’s a few of the key points that sets the GT-1000 apart
- Flagship guitar amp/effects processor with uncompromising sound quality and unmatched expressiveness
- Industry-leading 32-bit AD/DA, 32-bit floating-point processing, and 96 kHz sampling rate throughout
- AIRD (Augmented Impulse Response Dynamics) technology realizes BOSS’s acclaimed Tube Logic concept in a digital guitar processor
- Delivers natural feel and optimized integration with all types of external devices (FRFR, PA, LINE OUT and into the Front end of an amp) WITHOUT the need to disable any amp modelling
- Built-in Bluetooth for wireless editing from iOS and Android mobile devices – you can loop a sound and soundcheck your amp from across the room making changes via the app!
- Massive selection of onboard effects, including BOSS MDP effects and algorithms directly ported from the DD-500, MD-500, and RV-500 pedals
- Ultra-fast patch switching alongside instant delay/reverb carryover- Patches seamless blend from one to another
- Innovative STOMPBOX feature greatly simplifies using common effects settings in many different patches – Save and Store your favourite tone settings on any amp or effects block and instantly recall later.
- Ten footswitches and integrated expression pedal with user-configurable assignments and LED colours
- ¼-inch main outputs and XLR sub outputs with independent AIRD Output Select settings; loop for external stereo or mono effects
- Amps and effects can be routed in numerous series and parallel combinations
- Support for external control via footswitches, expression pedals, MIDI, and USB
- USB audio/MIDI interface for computer-based recording and editing
NEW UPDATE 18th MAY 2018:
- GT-1000 AIRD Output Select Library can now be used to add Output Select types - this means you can select your amp, whether its an AC30, Fender Twin etc. directly on the unit and the GT-1000 will automatically optimise itself fro your amplifier.
- GT-1000 IR Loader can now be used to add speaker types
- Update your GT-1000 here
Shop the BOSS GT-1000 over at PMT Online today!