No... this is NOT a Cream-era Eric Clapton signature, but rather a tribute to the Lovin' Spoonful guitarist & songwriter John Sebastian, who also played a 1959 Les Paul Standard. But, what does it really matter - above all, this is a truly amazing recreation of a vintage 1959 Les paul and, as such, looks, feels and sounds superb, whether you love the Lovin' Spoonful or not! This may as well be your dream, vintage-style 1959 Les Paul guitar!
Gibson Custom’s Collector’s Choice series provides players with the opportunity to experience the precise look, feel and tone of some of the rarest guitars in history. When Gordon Kennedy acquired his 1959 Les Paul in 2000, he was fully aware of the guitar's deep history, its contribution to popular music, and ownership by a cultural icon.
This Les Paul—recreated here as Collector's Choice #13 1959 Les Paul # 9-1352 aka "The Spoonful Burst"—was the sole guitar that had accompanied the musical journey of John Sebastian, best known for a brilliant and colorful career as frontman of The Lovin' Spoonful. In his hands it had helped to create a string of hits such as "Do You Believe In Magic," "Nashville Cats," and "Welcome Back," the theme song to the hit '70s TV show Welcome Back Kotter.
One of the things that makes Collector's Choice #13 "The Spoonful Burst" truly special is the way in which Gibson Custom recreates distinctive elements of its specific wear, tone, look and feel, rendering a detail-perfect instrument that comes as close as is humanly possible to an original vintage Les Paul. Unique details include its unusually balanced front and rear pickups, substantial neck profile, significant wear from a long career of heavy use by John Sebastian, and its beautifully faded Dirty Lemon burst finish. There’s no better tribute to one of America's most accomplished artists.
- Top Unique Figured Maple
- Back 1-Piece Genuine Mahogany
- Binding Single-ply Cream Binding on Top
- Adhesive Franklin Titebond
- Neck Species Genuine Mahogany Neck with a Maple Spline
- Profile ’59 Profile
- Truss Rod Reissue Truss Rod
- Joint Angle 4° (+/- 15 seconds)
- Neck Fit: Joint Mortise & Tenon
- Adhesive Hot Hide Glue
- Fingerboard Species Rosewood
- Binding Single-ply Cream
- Inlays Nitrocellulose Trapezoid Inlays
- Nut Material Nylon
- Width 1.687
- Slots Gibson PLEK SystemNut
- Headstock Inlay Holly Headstock with 'Gibson' Pearl Logo
- Truss Rod Cover Vintage
- Tuners Model Reissue Kluson Deluxe "Green Keys
- Tuning Ratio 12:01
- Plating Nickel Tuners
- Bridge Type ABR-1 Tune-o-Matic
- Plating Nickel
- Tailpiece Type Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar
- Pickguard Reissue Cream
- Knobs Gold Top Hats with Dial Pointers
- Toggle Switch Washer Cream with Gold Silkscreen
- Strings .010 - .046
- Strap Buttons Dunlop
- Neck Position: Custom Bucker (Alnico II) / Bridge Position Custom Bucker (Alnico III)
- Potentiometers 2 Volume, 2 Tone Controls
- Capacitors: Bumble Bee
- Toggle Switch Three-Way with Vintage Toggle Cap
- Sealer Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Case Type Custom Shop HardshellCase
- Accessories: Certificate of Authenticity Custom Shop Collector's Choice Certificate of Authenticity and Holder, Tie Dye Dust Cover, Copy of John Sebastian Hand Written Letter Detailing the Guitar's History, adjustment literature.
|Body Size||Full SIze|
We constantly monitor our competitors' prices to ensure that we're the best. However if you do find it cheaper, you can request an instant price match during opening hours by completing the form below.
*Please note that Terms & Conditions apply to Price Match - Must be a UK-based seller with the item In Stock, and is not available in conjunction with Finance or other Offers*