Users of the Roland Aira TR-8 will get classic TR-606 sounds included in the latest update of the 7X7-TR8 Drum Machine Expansion, from 17th June.
The Roland AIRA range found acclaim thanks to its revolutionary approach of successfully marrying modern designs and features with classic, vintage sounds. The AIRA concept was simple: instead of keeing re-releasing vintage gear, Roland decided to create a brand new unit that could be loaded with vintage sounds. The result? The Roland AIRA TR-8 quickly became the go-to drum-machine for the serious music producers worldwide, a worthy heir to the legendary Roland TR-808.
Now, from 17th June, new and current users of the TR-8 will be able to download classic TR-606 sounds, which will be included in the 7x7 for TR-8 Drum-Machine Expansion.
The original TR-606 was a simple, percussion side-kick to the popular TB-303 bass synthesizer. It featured seven analog drum sounds which were simple, but which also sounded really distinctive: Kick, Snare, 2 toms, open hat, closed hat, cymbal, accent. Famous users included Aphex Twin, Orbital, Moby and Nine Inch Nails.
Here's a demo which gives you a pretty good taste of those vintage, TR-606 sounds:
Here's Roland's point by point description of the current 7X7-TR8 Drum Machine Expansion:
- Every sound of the TR-707 and TR-727 Rhythm Composers, faithfully reproduced using the original PCM wave data and detailed models of the original circuitry.
- Analog Circuit Behavior captures the unmistakable sound of the original units – a result of lo-fi sampling and the behavior of the analog envelope and VCA circuitry design.
- Adds the unique flam and accent behaviors of the TR-909 and TR-707, with adjustable flam intensity and two levels of accent.
- Four entirely new TR-8 sounds including modified TR-909 kick, TR-909 snare and all new clap and snap sounds.
- Upgrades the TR-8 to have all the sounds and articulations of four iconic TR drum machines, plus all new sounds, in one performance-ready instrument.
More info & Related: